My absolute favorite thing to do in the summertime (and at any time of year) is to read a good book. I like fiction, I like happy endings, and I don’t like to have to do a whole lot of deep thinking – I just want to relax and enjoy the storyline. (Certainly, there is a time and place for those deep-thinking books, but for me, that place is not the beach!) Oh, and I like clean reads – that’s a must for me.
These books fit the bill. They are engaging, well-written, and easy to dive into.
1. What a Girl Wants by Kristin Billerbeck. This is the first book in a series and a perfect beachside or poolside read. It follows Ashley Stockingdale through her adventures at work, in relationships, and at her singles’ group. If chick lit is your thing, Kristin Billerbeck has many other great books to check out, too!
2, 3, & 4. If I Run Series by Terri Blackstock. One of the best mystery series I’ve read in a while, if not ever! I couldn’t devour each book fast enough. I’m listing all three because once you finish the first one, you’ll be on the edge of your seat waiting for the other two.
5. Summer Promise by Robin Jones Gunn. The book that started the Christy Miller
series phenomenon. Geared toward high-schoolers, it has led to several sequel series as the main character went from high school, to college, to marriage, to motherhood. (RJG’s most recent series is about a group of moms and the first book, Becoming Us was released earlier this year.) This book is a sweet summer read, especially for younger readers.
6. Sandy Toes by Robin Jones Gunn. A continuation of the Christy Miller story for grown-ups. (Even if you are a grown-up, I’d still recommend reading them all in order! Although this is coming from someone who read the Christy Miller series as an actual teenager, so there’s that. 😊) This book begins Christy’s chapter on motherhood, when she lives near the beach once again.
7. Wild Heart Summer by Jenny B. Jones. This one’s a novella, so it’s perfect to download if you only have an hour or two to read. A cute little romance that, like all of Jones’s books, is witty and packed with humor.
8, 9, & 10. Follow Your Heart series by Melody Carlson. Once again, I am including all three books in this series because they are all decidedly summery and therefore perfect for the beach. I’ve been a longtime fan of Melody Carlson and I especially like her young adult books like these.
11. Barefoot Summer by Denise Hunter. Hunter is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. (She releases two new books every year – in May and November – but who’s counting?) Her stories are sweet and easy to get lost in, and she has many other coastal-themed books in addition to this one. This book, the first in the four-part Chapel Springs series, is about woman who lost her twin brother and is learning to sail (with the help of an expert sailor who just so happens to be a guy she’s already familiar with) so she can win a regatta in his honor. If standalone novels are more your thing, Hunter also just released Summer by the Tides.
Okay, those are my picks for your beachside enjoyment! What other books do you love that are perfect summer reads?